When you think of Christmas, what comes to mind? Do you have any special holiday traditions that flood your memories and get you excited for this year’s holiday season? I’m excited to share 7 holiday traditions with you that our family especially loves!
1. Advent Calendar. Do your children look forward with anticipation to Christmas Day? Our daughters sure do! To help them countdown to Christmas, we like to have a Christmas advent calendar. This year we decorated a little tree from Pottery Barn Kids and included small gifts under the tree for them to open each day. They were each wrapped with darling free printable advent tags from Bloom Designs Online and Simple As That. Gifts can include things like a new Christmas book to read, or an item that represents a family activity they can participate in with you.
2. Christmas cards. Another fun holiday tradition is sending Christmas cards. If you’re anything like me, you love mailing off Christmas cards and receiving them too! One of our family’s favorite holiday traditions is taking family photos and choosing our holiday cards. This year, we found a design from Shutterfly that worked perfectly with the outfits we chose. I love that we could customize the layout so we could share more photos with loved ones. Shutterfly was so kind in sending us free cards, labels, and envelope liners to use for this yearly tradition. You can see our cards and the cards of our family photographer below.
3. Yearly Personalized Ornaments. Do you select a new Christmas ornament for your tree each year? We do! Each year, we look through our family photos and create personalized keepsake ornaments from Tiny Prints or Shutterfly to hang on our Christmas tree. We make a family ornament with family photos and also make an ornament highlighting each of our daughters to tuck away for their own future personal trees. It provides a fun snapshot of our children and family through the years and is a great way to see all of the changes and growth. Here’s a few examples of ornaments from this year and previous years.
4. New Christmas Pajamas. There is something so fun about opening up a new pair of Christmas pajamas to wear throughout the holiday season. Every year we search our favorite stores and choose the Christmas pjs for the year. Our girls look forward to opening them and wearing them all Christmas season long! Still on the lookout for Christmas pjs? Here is a cute family set from Target.
5. Snowflake Lane. Yearly, we make the trek to Bellevue Square to enjoy one of the nightly parades at Snowflake Lane featuring favorite holiday characters, twinkling lights, falling snow, and delightful holiday music. We love having friends join us and often spend the night at a Bellevue hotel.
6. Cookie Decorating with Friends. Another cherished Christmas tradition is inviting friends over to decorate Christmas sugar cookies. Mini decorating kits with icing, sprinkles, and small candies are available for each child and mounds of naked sugar cookies are ready to be festively embellished! There are probably about the same number of finished sugar cookies leftover as get eaten, making the night especially merry!
7. School Christmas Activity. My daughters love having me join them in their school classrooms each Christmas to lead the students in a fun Christmas activity or craft. This year we made these darling Cookies for Santa jars featured on Bloom Designs Online. You can get the instructions and free printables on their website. We appreciate all the great ideas they have on their website and love their printable designs. It is so much fun to see the students get excited about creating something fun to share with their families, and of course, I love spending time with my girls.
What are your favorite holiday Christmas traditions? We’d love to hear from you! Do we share any traditions in common? Leave a comment and let us know!